As 2018 is coming to an end, so are many of our programs!
As we hate to see the good times go we know that many more are soon to come. Youth Odyssey offers a fun filled program throughout the year called the ADVENTURE CHALLENGE PROGRAM that teaches teens important skills that they will carry throughout their lives. The Adventure Challenge Programs are offered at a handful of public middle schools and housing communities.
The Adventure Challenge Program is built on a strong foundation of three key elements. These elements are: Portable team challenges, Ropes courses, and Adventure Wilderness trips.
Portable Team Challenges:
These programs begin with the facilitator bringing portable team challenges on site to the program. These challenges are designed to have the teens think outside of the box and come together as a team. During these Portable Team Challenges we focus on instilling 6 life skills within each teen.
These skills are:¬
These are all skills used on a daily basis that lead to a successful future if properly utilized. Our goal is to teach each teen through fun activities these skills and debrief them afterward to show them what they accomplished and learned as an individual.¬
The next phase is taking the group to our ropes course. This part of the program is designed for the teens to break out of their comfort zone while also gaining self confidence and learning trust. However, on our ropes course we operate on a challenge by choice basis. Meaning that no teen is forced to do any obstacles they don't want to do. Facilitators will always motivate the teens to try new things and always comfort the decisions a teen makes.
Overcoming obstacles at our ropes course is an extremely empowering¬† experience that exhibits self growth and empowerment. Our ropes course has a mixture of low and high elements. All of our elements equally challenge the teens and open their eyes to new possibilities!
Adventure Wilderness Trips:
The last phase is our Adventure Wilderness Trip (AWT). Facilitators will take the teens on a three day camping trip to a state park and give them an adventure experience of a lifetime! While on the camping trip facilitators will teach the teens how to cook, pitch a tent, read a map, go on hikes, and so much more!
Here is where we went last Fall!
- Driscoll Middle School (AWT to Garner State Park)
- Martin Middle School (AWT to Garner State Park)
- Gregory Portland Middle School (6th and 7th Grade)¬ (AWT to Inks Lake State Park)
- South Park Middle School (AWT to Garner State Park)
- HAAS Middle School (AWT to Garner State Park)
- Hamlin Middle School (AWT to Mckinney Falls State Park)
- Cunningham Middle School (AWT to Garner State Park)
- Baker Middle School (AWT to Mckinney Falls State Park)
Youth Odyssey has been very grateful for the opportunity to work with all of the amazing teens who were involved in our Fall Adventure Challenge Programs. Even though Fall Programs are ending we are excited to announce our upcoming Spring Adventure Challenge Programs!
This is where we are going this Spring!
- 1/7/2019 La Armada Housing Community (AWT to Lost Maples State Natural Area)
- 1/7/2019 Leeward Homes Housing Community (AWT to Government Canyon State Natural Area)
- 1/7/2019 Lantana Square Housing Community (AWT to Government Canyon State Natural Area)
- 2/4/2019 Martin Middle School (AWT to Inks lake State Park)
- 2/4/2019 Gregory Portland Middle School (8th Grade)(AWT to Inks Lake State Park)
- 2/4/2019 Cunningham Middle School (AWT to Inks lake State Park)
- 2/5/2019 South Park Middle School (AWT to Mckinney Falls State Park)
- 2/5/2019 HAAS Middle School (AWT to Mckinney Falls State Park)
- 2/6/2019 Baker Middle School (AWT to Mckinney Falls State Park)
- 2/6/2019 Driscoll Middle School (AWT to Mckinney Falls State Park)
- 2/7/2018 Hamlin Middle School (AWT to Inks lake State Park)
While participating in Youth Odyssey is a good time, it also has a positive¬† impact on each teen during this fragile developmental time period in their maturing stages. Corpus Christi Independent School District has reported that teens who participate in Youth Odyssey have:
- Decreased disciplinary action
- Increased grades
- Decreased dropout rates
- Increased attendance
- Increased testing scores
All together Youth Odyssey can say that we are proud of all of your participating teens and openly invite more to join. The more the Merrier!
If you are interested in joining forces with Youth Odyssey to support positive youth development for our teens, you can now personally sponsor a youth through our Year End Giving Campaign! Your contribution is what makes our adventures possible!¬
"Youth Odyssey has changed my life in ways I cannot say. It has taught me how to have fun in the real world instead of the digital world."