Watch how we use adventure programming to change lives.
Created in 1997, Youth Odyssey is a 501 (C) (3) non-profit based in Corpus Christi, Texas driven to address the rising tide of juvenile crime and violence. Youth Odyssey is on a mission to provide at-risk youth ages 10-17 with positive development through life skills curricula and adventure challenge programming. The six life skills we focus on are: communication, teamwork, problem-solving, goal-setting, leadership, and trust. We teach and apply these skills through adventure activities that include teambuilding sessions, ropes challenge courses, kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, bouldering, hiking, backpacking, camping, and more. Since our establishment, Youth Odyssey has provided approximately 10,000 at-risk and disadvantaged youth with life changing opportunities; 800-900 youth annually. We have longstanding partnerships with many agencies here in the Coastal Bend; and programming is free of cost to the youth and their families.
Youth Odyssey’s overall goal is to effect social change in at-risk youth by providing youth development programming that increases their resilient attributes and decreases at-risk factors such as gang violence, drugs, alcohol, and teen pregnancy through appealing, healthy adventure challenges.
- To improve participating youth’s life skills, including leadership, self-confidence, communication, problem-solving, team building, and trust;
- To increase the perception of healthy life styles and a sense of purpose and future;
- To provide at-risk youth with adult mentors that hold healthy beliefs and clear standards;
- To provide activities that allow at-risk youth to be successful in building social and behavioral skills;
- To provide at-risk youth with activities in a caring and supportive environment;
- To provide at-risk youth with opportunities to participate in activities that produce a sense of usefulness and responsibility; and
- To provide at-risk youth with clear and attainable goals.
Corpus Christi Independent School District reports that youth who participate in our programs have:
- Decreased Dropout Rates
- Decreased Disciplinary Action
- Increased Grades
- Increased Attendance
- Increased State Testing Scores
The youth served by Youth Odyssey will show a minimum increase of 75% in the
development of six core life skills desire to live a healthy lifestyle, and
participate in outdoor activities. Our programming will assist at-risk youth in
acquiring and improving the six key life skills demonstrated to be the most
effective assets to change juvenile delinquent behavior.
Youth Odyssey utilizes pre and post participation surveys to evaluate the
effectiveness of all programming. The survey is given at the beginning and the
end of each program. The assessment of each program is also measured through the
- Staff and volunteer observations
- Youth pre/post Surveys
- Referring Youth Agency Evaluation
- Volunteer Evaluation
- Parent / Guardian Evaluation
Each year we exceed these goals
- To have 75% of at-risk youth participating show an increase in their self-confidence;
- To have 75% of at-risk youth participating show and increase in leadership;
- To have 75% of at-risk youth participating show and increase in problem-solving skills;
- To have 75% of at-risk youth participating show and increase in team building and trust;
- To have 80% of at-risk youth participating show a desire for future participation in healthy alternative activities that discourage risky behaviors.